Friday, October 28, 2011

Zürich

Last Sunday and Monday I was in Zürich, Switzerland. I had a job interview there -- my freelance work is coming to an end, so I must find something new. But nothing is decided yet.

It's a three-hour drive from Augsburg to Zürich, passing briefly through Austria around the east end of lake Bodensee via Pfändertunnel. Through a happy coincidence my sister has two good friends who live in Wallisellen close to Zürich, so I could visit them and stay there for the night, making it a convenient two-day trip.

It was a beautiful, not warm but sunny, autumn day, and it was my first ever visit to Zürich. To get an overview of the surroundings, I took the tram up to Uetliberg, the 'house mountain' of Zurich. The lookout tower on its top offers an outstanding view in all directions, down to the city and to lake Zürichsee.

Out of the lake, through the center of the city, flows picturesquely the river Limmat, which is crossed over by a number of bridges. Zürich has a mixture of old traditional houses and modern buildings.

Here is a platform of the main train station. I like the photo with its lights composition and the strong vanishing point perspective.

2 Comments:

At October 29, 2011 at 6:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings Martin,

Could you be kind and look at my comments under your blog concering your Iceland visit to view your great great grandfather's sculpted bust. My great great grandfather Professor Josef Anton Echteler, Bavarian Sculptor, created the bust of Konrad in 1888. I left my email in the comments from your July post about Konrad Maurer's bust. Thanks, Carol E Skog USA

 
At October 29, 2011 at 10:37 PM , Blogger Martin Maurer said...

Dear Carol,

That's amazing! I just sent you an email.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home