Friday, July 29, 2011

The Westfjords

My last geographic destination here on Iceland were the Westfjords. However the weather was quite nieselnebelig and this lonely part of Iceland at this type of weather reminded me of what I imagine Scotland to be like.

If the Westfjords have a "purpose", it is to teach the traveller humility. You drive on and on and on, hard driving for hours, and you think you have not made any distance. The road goes in and out one fjord after the other. It feels like you are going in circles.

I was very glad to reach the point where a ferry allows you to shortcut the way back to the mainland, so I wouldn't have to drive all this endless way out again.

(BTW, in a different type of weather, and under no time pressure, I'm sure my impression would have been a more positive one. Normally I do like areas with little people very much.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home