Monday, August 1, 2011

Íslandvinir

Now at the end of my 2011 summer holidays in Iceland -- I have never spent a vacation like this one before -- I can officially join the ranks of the Íslandvinir. Literally, the word means "friends of Iceland". De facto it describes foreigners who are Iceland addicts.

Together with Peter and Jaya, a German couple who stayed also at Gunnarshólmi Guesthouse, we visited Ylströndin Nauthólsvík. This is a beach in Reykjavík, with showers, changing rooms and two hot pots (all free). And here in the usual 13-15 degrees air temperature, hyped-up Íslandvinir Martin even had a little swim in the beach lagoon. The photo is proof!

After a last good lunch, I used the rest of the day to stroll very relaxed a final time through Reykjavík. The capital is nearly deserted this weekend because it's a public holiday on Monday where all shops are closed. I asked what holiday it is, and learned it's called the let's-all-drive-to-the countryside-and-get-really-drunk-weekend.

The photo with the beak-egg monument was my last impression. It's outside Keflavik International Airport where I had returned my rental car and dragged my heavy travel bag to the check-in, under a beautiful sunset with clear visibility to Snæfellsjökull in the north. I had a night flight back to Germany, and as usual I couldn't sleep in the plane, so I arrived in Munich really tired and worn out.

And now before I go to bed -- tomorrow I'll start work again -- I want say once more the two most important words in Icelandic: Takk fyrir. Thank you. Thank you all whom I met on my journey, who made my travel so enjoyable and unique. Thanks for giving me such a special welcome. Thank you, Iceland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home